Students from Micronesia, Federated States of Financial Aid Overview

If you are considering attending college or graduate school in the United States, it can be difficult to determine how to finance your education. The information below is intended to serve as a general guide to help you determine what options are available to students. Generally, United States Federal and State student loans and grants are not available to international students, but there are other options to consider.

About Micronesia, Federated States of

  • Continent:
  • Population (Rank):104196 (194)
  • Unemployment Rate (Rank):16.2 (177)
  • Educational Expenditures (Rank): Not Available (Not Available)
  • Avg Income (Rank): $3200 (190)
  • % Migration (Rank): 16.2% (177)
  • Regions:4 states; Chuuk (Truk), Kosrae (Kosaie), Pohnpei (Ponape), Yap

Steps for Micronesia, Federated States of students to apply for financial aid in the United States

  1. Determine your eligibility status
  2. If necessary, determine if you have a co-signer
  3. Calculate your total cost to attend the university or college
  4. Determine what grants or scholarships may be available
  5. Contact the financial aid office for assistance

Where can I get information about tuition costs, housing and other living expenses for my college or university?

You can get more information about tuition costs, housing and other living expenses by contacting the financial aid office at your chosen school.
  Some typical costs you will need to account for include, housing, food, books, transporation, travel and other personal expenses.

Grants & Scholarships for students from Micronesia, Federated States of 

Some private donors offer scholarships to international students and you can find those by doing a scholarship search for financial aid resources for students regardless of immigration status.

You may also want to contact the academic department you plan to obtain your degree in to see if they have any scholarships or assistantships that you can apply for. For further assistance, please feel free to contact the school’s scholarship office.

Jobs and Employment for international students from Micronesia, Federated States of

At many schools, work for the institution on campus is permissible as soon as students are in F-1 or J-1 status in the U.S., though no sooner than 30 days prior to the start of classes. Types of acceptable employment generally includes: work required by a scholarship, assistantship or fellowship, work in the libraries, computer centers, administrative offices, and work performed on the school’s premises for an outside contractor or firm as long as the employer provides direct services to students (for example, work for a food service company for the school). Employment is generally limited to 20 hours per week.

International students who are “Eligible Non-citizens”

You are considered an “eligible noncitizen” if you fall into certain categories, such as the ones listed below:

1. You are a:

U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island) or
U.S. permanent resident with a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card, Resident Alien Card, or Alien Registration Receipt Card), also known as a “green card.”
2. You have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing*

“Asylum Granted,”
“Cuban-Haitian Entrant,”
“Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980), or
“Parolee” (you must be paroled for at least one year, and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).
3. You hold a T nonimmigrant status (“T-visa”) (for victims of human trafficking) or your parent holds a T-1 nonimmigrant status. Your college or career school’s financial aid office will ask to see your visa and/or certification letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.*

4. You are a “battered immigrant-qualified alien” who is a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).*

5. You are a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau. If this is the case, you may be eligible for only certain types of federal student aid:

Citizens of the Republic of Palau are eligible for Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and Federal Work-Study.
Citizens of the Federal States of Micronesia and the Republic of the Marshall Islands are eligible for Federal Pell Grants only.
*To qualify for federal student aid, certain eligible noncitizens must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that they are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
If you are from Micronesia, Federated States of and currently attend or are planning to attend a college or university in the United States as an undergrad or graduate student, please leave any questions, comments or reviews about the school or process using the review and comment box below. Your feedback is very valuable in improving the process for you and for future students.  Please note: Do not leave personal information in the comments

Leave a Reply